Large Scale Spectroscopic Surveys

So I just completed my talk on what you can do with large scale spectroscopic surveys.   It was a fun experience in trying to write a talk using reveal.js and I think it came out looking pretty good.  However, if I had more time, there likely would have been a few more things that I would have added to it.  It was the first time I was giving the talk, and I think there was a lot more material that could have been added (more links on the slides, list of some of the recent large scale spectroscopic surveys instead of just mentioning them).   I think I could have gone into a bit more detail about how mass was measured in clusters, but that is why it is always a good idea to

I haven’t gotten much feedback yet, but I am hoping that I did get over my three main points:  1. There are lot of cluster redshifts out there, 2.  The more redshifts you have, the more power you have in measuring the dynamical mass, and 3.  Populations studies become incredible powerful with spectroscopic redshifts (and there are lot of blue galaxies in clusters!).

It was an interesting experience writing it in reveal.js. It does give some nice transitions between slides, but I think I need to learn some more html5 before I really can make it more powerful.  It was difficult to add/control animations and to easily add plots or data that I think would be easier with something like d3.js.   However, since I am just learning javascript, it was a good place to learn.

Although I think I have an idea for at least one interesting infographic on the growth of redshift surveys.  Surveys have grown in the number of clusters, number of redshifts, and range of redshifts over the last 80 years and the growth recently in number of redshifts has been, I would guess, exponential.   It would be interesting to try to visual that.

It would also be interesting to have all of those cluster redshifts.