Looking back

Overall, I’ve had a pretty good year with three papers from my group submit while contributing to five other accepted papers from this year.    To maintain the same output next year, it will require some substantial work and seeing some of the other projects

However, I’m looking for some inspiration for the next year so I was looking through the ADS for some of the most highly cited papers for this year.   The ADS labs makes this easy to do this although citations are highly driven by when the papers come out, so I guess it really is the most popular papers from six months ago.  Only three papers were published in the second half of the year and some of these even appeared in the arXiv earlier than that.  The ADS does have a popularity search, but I’m not exactly sure what that does.

Obviously, the big news this year was Plank.  Along with other CMB experiments, the Plank papers dominate the list of top 20 most cited papers.  Out of the top 5, 4 were CMB papers and 10 out of the top 20 were also CMB related papers.    

Between all of the CMB papers, the BOSS survey was able to sneak in a paper looking at the cosmological results from their BAO searches.   Likewise, searches for dark matter particles were also fairly prominent in the top twenty with two papers on different surveys trying to detect signs of these particles.   There were a pair of papers looking at galaxy evolution in context of dark matter halos as well.   

The highest non-CMB result was a paper reporting on results of planet searches from Kepler data.  However, I think the most interesting-looking and different paper in the top ten was one that found a pulsar in part of relativistic binary.

The most promising thing I did see was that two of the top twenty-five papers were software papers!